Thursday, January 19, 2017

Fantasy Character Workshop #006

William O'Connor

Working as a fantasy illustrator for over twenty years I have created hundreds (maybe thousands) of fantasy characters.  When I was a student I would draw the characters of all the players in my gaming group.  later working for various games I would be commissioned to illustrate and design characters from stories.  As an artist many of these commissions became derivative to the point of becoming boring (Dwarf Fighter with an Axe, Elf Ranger with a Bow, etc.)  so I strove to change things up and make sure that I was always coming up with new combinations.  I created my Random Character Generator. (attached below).  This was based upon the appendixes that were listed in the back of the D&D Dungeon Master's Guide when I was a kid.  I started using this generator routinely, and still employ it when creating characters and when teaching character design to students.

This series is intended to use my generator to create characters on a regular basis to share the process with you.  I will try to be as faithful as possible to the attributes that are created, as the series is meant to challenge my skills, and make the characters as difficult as possible.

Enjoy
WOC

______________________________________________________________




Fantasy Character Workshop #006 

Race: Dragonnoid
Gender: Female
Class: Paladin
Armor: Splintmail/ Large Shield
Weapon: Rapier(Fire)
Missile:  xxx
Motiff: Pegasus
Equipment: idol,

After a bit of a break for the holidays and to meet some important deadlines, I've returned to my Fantasy Character Workshop.  This one was unusual and exemplifies what I enjoy about these challenges.  A dragonoid female character wielding a large shield and a rapier.  Usually these hulking figures are depicted as brutish warriors using weapons such as clubs and battle axes, so the thin blade of a rapier as well as the more graceful design of a female paladin was a refreshing mash-up.
I drew from the "steed" list for a coat of arms motif on the shield.

Enjoy

WOC

   




1 comment: